TB: Summer watering

I live in a subdivision of 2 acre ranchettes that are watered by a local
irrigation district.  We are supposed to get water every two weeks in
the summer time, but as usual, in the hottest part of the summer one of
the pumps breaks down and we get water on a three week schedule instead.
Last  time I watered nearly everything between irrigations, then I
noticed that the rows that I missed stayed greener and healthier than
the ones I watered.  Therefore this time I only watered a few.  I use
soaker hoses for my watering.

I notice that the irises can take heat up to 105 degrees F. without
problems.  Above that they suffer.  We are having the hottest summer
ever with ten days now above 110.  At those temperatures they are really
sick, and I will lose some of the young seedlings.  A shower last night
cooled us down to below 100 today for the first time in weeks.  We have
had 100 degree temperatures since early May and have two more months to
go.  In August rains and September humidity, I will have to fight rot in
my cooked iris rhizomes.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9