Re: LA: Blue Irises

I have a beautiful blue iris, but it isn't a TB.   It is a small LA named "Lake Sylvia".
  I've never seen a bluer iris than this.
                                                      Pat in Dallas

Jeffrey Walters <jeffwiris@yahoo.com> wrote:
  Barb Johnson wrote:

<< Blue ones are kinda rare, I guess. One is Blue
Staccato (Jim Gibson 1977). The other is the
> historic Blue Shimmer (Jacob Sass 1941). I like the
> peppering on it.

Barb,

These two appear more blue than violet to me, also.
Blue Staccato has one of the longest bloom seasons of
any TB here; it has often exceeded 4 weeks. I guess it
is because it has lots of buds and opens them
sequentially instead of simultaneously, though there
are often 3 buds open on a stalk at the same time,
too.

There is a steeply sloping area about 50 by 30 feet
that I drive by on my way to work that is thickly
overgrown with Blue Shimmer. It is quite a sight when
it is in bloom, but the experience is brief, because
Blue Shimmer has one of the shortest bloom periods of
any TB I know.

Jeff Walters
in northern Utah
(USDA Zone 4)