Re: iris DIGEST V1 #619

That is indeed interesting. Many iris go into a stasis when temps go above 103F. There is some variation from cultivar to cultivar.Evidence so far is that Immortality is one that goes into dormancy early with high temperatures.

My guess is that for Immortality it very well could be the lower day temperatures in Nov. which allows it to come out of stasis.

Chuck Chapman

Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 10:43:29 -0700
From: "Francelle" <fjmjedwards@qwest.net>
Subject: RE: [iris] Re: REB: Plants Ready for rebloom

Perhaps someone would find my recent temperature statistics interesting.
Day time highs have been 110 F and above for a month with only a couple of cool downs to 108 F. Night time temperatures have been in 85+ degrees F. Two nights ago the low was 90 degrees. Humidity has been below 10%. It's starting to go up now as we await the Arizona monsoon. Irises are turning brown, going into semi-dormancy. They get deep watering once a week. We can't expect night time temperatures below 60 F. until November. Perhaps this is why all my rebloom happens in late December or January at which time
it freezes out.
By the way, I'm not complaining. I had great bloom this year from March 1 till May 20 and set more pods than I know what to do with. I sympathize
with all those who lost bloom and pods to storms and rain.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9