HYB: thought for the day

Just put another 9 ripe pods in the fridge for a total of around 40, another 20 or so ripening on the window sill, maybe another dozen still to harvest.

No way I can line out that many seedlings in 2009, especially with around 100? 150? big pots of seedlings waiting to be lined out plus this year's delayed germinant crop still in germination pots.

So I've come up with a wonderful rationalization for continuing to germinate so many seedlings - it is a great way to see which crosses make the strongest plants before giving them space in the garden. So what if it mostly eliminates the advantage of early germination that the burrito'ing provides.

As I've pulled the last of the weeds from big pots and have started looking for space in the garden rows for some of them, there are some seedlings that I probably won't plant at all. They clearly don't have the health and vigor that I'm after as my primary goal and/or have already bloomed siblings that were awful or half sibs that were a much better combination of genes that I will plant instead.

Plus leaving them in the pots for more than a year should let me ID the IMM etc descendants that are prone to median type vegetative growth (i.e., lots of small increases)

I've not <quite> reached the point of being willing to throw them away without at least giving them half a chance to bloom in their big pots if they are so inclined.

Betty, there are a few crosses with 6 to 12 same age seedlings in a pot where one or more are clearly much "better" seedlings (my definition, based on health and vigor). Depending on how much I'm interested in the genes, I may or may not line those out.

If any of you are interested, I'll post some photos of the range of health/growth in similar age/treatment seedlings. There are some differences in treatment - number of seedlings per pot was determined by how many germinated from the cross; timing of transplant from 4 inch pots to bigger pots varied depending on when they germinated and how fast they grew; potting medium wasn't completely consistent (combination of potting medium from used pots plus depth of manure in the bottom) and of course, genetics.
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8