Re: Re: HYB: summer bloom

They are maiden stalks, Linda. I can't venture any predictions about subsequent rebloom. I can tell you that Haunting, which first bloomed at Halloween, has done so reliably in the several years since, but sometimes skips spring bloom, and my recent fall/winter maiden bloomers have not bloomed the following spring, though some have bloomed the next year. This is the first year that I have had summer maiden bloomers, so I don't know what to expect. I think it will take several years to be able to predict, on the basis of observation, what these plants will do. -- Griff ----- Original Message ----- From: "Linda Mann" <lmann@lock-net.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 4:43 PM
Subject: [iris] Re: HYB: summer bloom

Same with the the stalk I found this morning - just walking down to the far rows to check pods and there was this stalk with buds showing color. Happy surprise.

Griff, are these maiden stalks? Have you (or others) had enough experience with summer maiden stalks on potential rebloomers to know whether or not this is a sign they will rebloom when they are older?

<Yesterday was a heart-lifter. As I checked a very slow-growing multi-budded stalk of Daughter of Stars X Kindle A Flame, musing about the light-colored petals beginning to emerge, my gaze was arrested by two more budding stalks showing color nearby -- a pair of siblings from Eternal Bliss X Alleluia. They had sneaked up on me, seemingly overnight. I was smiling, then, when I looked nearby and found a stalk up on another Wearing Rubies X 01J14 seedling. By then, I was laughing out loud. It was, indeed, a good day, even with the
temperature in the 90s.  --  Griff>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8