From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
Subject: [iris] Re: HYB: seed count
To: iris@hort.net
Date: Tuesday, July 22, 2008, 6:43 AM

Betty, I've not been shelling seeds on most - they are going straight
into baggies in the fridge.

Pods this year were strange - not sure exactly what's "off" about
them,
but about half just haven't looked healthy, seeds don't either.  I
wound
up with almost 100 different crosses, few of which were things I really
wanted, but the season was so dreadful, I kept trying everything that
seemed to have any potential, just to be sure to get <something>.
Except for the last three crosses (the latest bloomers - DUSKY C, one of
my seedlings, and FINAL EPISODE), everything else seemed to ripen at
once, several weeks ago, but they seemed to "ripen" before they were
mature.

Erratic weather during bloom, combined with drought and heat?

? not sure what to make of it, but won't be surprised if germination
from this year's crop of stressed seeds is poor to none from a lot of
these.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8