Re: HYB: what to do with glaciata?

I guess I would be surprised if your seedlings from the Treasured x Harvest of
Memories cross were truly glaciatas.  Glaciatas pop up in the plicata lines
and are notable for a complete absence of anthocyanin- the blue/violet water
based pigments.  I really don"t see any plicatas close up in the parentage of
either Treasured or HOM.  It is true that pinks and yellows have an inhibitor
which supresses the expression of anthocyanin and that from looking at the
iris you can"t tell what its plicata genes would be.  Plicatas certainly do
pop up in the pink lines as recessive traits will appear with luck and
numbers.  With the parentage of Treasured and HOM, I would think it more
likely that you just have very smooth hafts.
I can only answer why Glaciatas interest me- it is because they are
recessives.   In order to have a glaciata, you must have four glaciata alleles
at the plicata loci.   I know you follow this Linda, but other people have
objected to the technical jargon.  In simpler terms there is a location in the
DNA where the genes that express the plicata characteristic are located-
loci.  There are several types of plicata genes which may be present at this
location- the different variations possible are referred to as alleles
(plicata, luminata, glaciata)  If any of the other types of plicata-series
alleles besides the glaciata allele are present, you will have some
anthocyanin expression.  So for what we understand- if you have one luminata
allele and three glaciata alleles, the iris would have the appearance of a
luminata.  It gets complicated because if both the luminata and plicata allele
are present both of the patterns are expressed.
Glaciatas make interesting parents because the offspring can give you
information on the plicata alleles present in the other parent in the cross.
So if you were wondering if a cultivar had three glaciata alleles and one
plicata allele, or two glaciata and two plicata alleles, you might cross it
with a glaciata.  If you bloomed a significant number of seedlings from the
cross, the distribution of the plicata patterns in the seedlings would give
you some insight into the types of alleles present in the non-glaciata
But as soon as you cross outside of the plicata series there are so many other
factors that will be expressed that using a glaciata really won"t tell you
As for the rest of what you asked, am going to leave that to someone else to
speculate on.  It would seem that these seedlings may well be useful to get
cleaner hafts.
Robin Shadlow
zone 5 NE