HYB: Color & Pattern (WAS what to do with glaciata?)

Chuck & Others,

<<glaciata. >>

I'd like clarification (for me.)

I understand that "like breeds like," but I'm always looking for
shortcuts! Plus, I have a white glaciata seedling, which bloomed in
September, from Blatant X All Revved Up. It's nice, but not
spectacular.  Should it go in the reselect bed or the compost pile?

Glaciatas appear in plicata crosses, and they are the result of the
elimination of anthocyanin. Right? The other alternative would be that
the anthocyanin is simply masked or hidden?

1) By definition, plicatas must contain anthocyanin?

2) If a glaciata contains no anthocyanin, how can they be a part of the
plicata group?

3) If they truly contain NO anthocyanin, could they pass on the
anthocyanin gene? They couldn't pass on something they don't have? (for
those of us that are not experts in genetics.) Maybe this is what
confuses me.

Is there a breeding situation in which the use of a glaciata would be
an advantage?

What breeding programs MIGHT benefit from the use of glaciatas, and
what would be the goal? Two white glaciatas might produce better clean
whites with NO haft marks?  Would that be the only goal?  Would two
white glaciatas produce all white glaciatas?  Would a clean white and a
white glaciata produce all clean whites?

In addition: I'm of the understanding that the "greyed" look I get on
some yellows, etc.. is from the anthocyanin in20the ancestry. Is there
any way, other than selective breeding, to reduce or remove the
anthocyanin from a cross (or line?)

In my LEMON REFLECTION X ALL REVVED UP cross I proved (I think) that LR
has no plicata genes to pass on to it's children.  In 150 seedlings
there were no plicatas.  ARU passed on the anthocyanin (grayed haze in
the fall overlays) but no plicatas.

Betty W.
Bridge In Time Iris Garden
Zone 6