From: irischapman@aim.com
To: iris@hort.net
Sent: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 9:46 pm
Subject: [iris] Re: Anthocyanin Pigment Inheritence

three sets of genes that have been used in iris. To produce
anthocyanin, particularly delphinidin, there is about 22 biochemical
steps in the production. Blocking any of these will stop the production
of anthocyanin. These are called structural genes. In addition you can
have control genes that prevent certain genes from acting or by
themselves remove anathocyanin.B B But lets focus on what we know.B B There is recessive reduction of anthocyain, This used to be called
recessive white and the symbol used was "w" and blues were "W". But
this is incorrect as yellows, pinks, and oranges etc all can exsist
with four sets of "w", ie w/w/w/w genotypes. One of this type crossed
with a flower with anthocyanin produces all anthocyanin flowers , as
long as no recessives were carried by the anthocyanin
flower (brown.
ed. purple, blue etc)B B There is the dominant reduction of anthocyanin , labelled "I" and we
can use this symbol. This is the commonest gene used to produce pinks,
yellows oranges, apricots etc. A cross of one of these (having one
dosage of I ) to a flower having anthocyanin (ignoring all recessives
present) will produce half flowers with anthocuyanin and half without.B B Not the use of the term "reduction", not removal. Multiple dosages of I will probaly reduce anthocyanin even more.B B Plicata genetics are complicated. Basically a plicata is a plant having
four plicata genes, selecting from the three known alleles. Luminata,
glaciata and luminata. A plicata can also have other genes such as I or
wwww, removing anthocyanin. Thus we get a plicata such as Laced Cotton.
There is nothing in definition of plicata genotype indicating it has to
have anthocyanin or any fixed pattern of distribution. Known patterns
include classic plicata, luminata, luminata-plicata, zonal and
glaciata. We don't know what the pattern is when a glaciata has four
luminata genes. It had been assumed for a long time that luminata
pttern had four luminata genes but this is not so. Also any of these
patterns can also have an I gene and we can get a plicata pattern in
cartenoid pigments with a plicata distribution. Now called a yellow
plicataB B The glaciata , which is four sets of the plicat
a glaciata gene , also
has no anthocyanin. The removal of anthocyanin this way produces an
exceptional clean flower. But an exceptionally clean flower is not
necessarily a glaciata.B B A glaciata flower crossed with a wwww will produce all offspring with
anthrocyanin. For example a white glaciata X recessive white, produces
all blue offspring.B B The glaciata is a recessive of a recessive (plicata) and has absolutely
no effect on pigment unless paired up as one of four plicata genes. And
only shows glaciata when in a set of four glaciata genes. So is of no
interest unless you are working plicatas. Of course working a line of
glaciatas to produce exceptionally clean non anthocyanin flowers is a
possibility, except that glaciata plants are weak, have poor branching
and usually not great flowers. But these are not all minor problems.
There are now stronger and better formed SDB and IB glaciatas and
eventually perhaps also with TB, but not so far. All TB glaciatas I
have grown here have quickly disappeared.B B The proper test to see if a plant is a glaciata is to cross with a
plicata. All seedlings will be plicata if it is a glaciata. Of course
some of thes plicata could be glaciatas.B B It actually it is even more complicated, but no further information for this post, I sure it is confusing enough as is.B B Chuck ChapmanB B To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with theB message text UNSUBSCRIBE IRISB B