Re: Re: Anthocyanin-sidetracked

Christian wrote:
> BUT... I stumbled on a notation that caught
> my attention... as it may relate
> more directly to personal goals.
> In a post relating to anthocyanin dated Feb
> 08, 2003 Neil Morgensen stated that "The pigments
> involved in the blacks tend
> to penetrate through the I factor."
> This caught my attention because I have
> noted that "green" irises sometimes come
> from "black" pedigrees, and have
> wondered how that was possible.
> If I understand the context correctly
> he's seperating two types of "white"
> irises... recessive white and...well I'm unclear.
> Somebody help me clear up the fog?
> And if anyone has pictures of irises with
> this "penetration" of dark pigments through
> the I factor, I would find them
> very interesting.

Somewhere I remember a discussion of Iris aphylla having different anthocyanin pigment pathways that might not be inhibited (or at least not fully) by the "I factor", which as I understand it, is the typical dominant white -- I think of it as "I" for inhibition of anthocyanins. Another gene in this series is the I(s) <sorry I can't figure out how to make the "s" tiny> which is responsible for the dominant amoena pattern -- think inhibition of anthocyanin in standards. These "I" genes are at a different locus (chromosome location) than the plicata / glaciata series, so they are inherited independently of those.
The reason why I mention Iris aphylla, is because that species is commonly found in the ancestry of black irises. So it wouldn't be surprising at all to find anthocyanins coming from these irises, that the I factor doesn't inhibit.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of this phenomenon for you, but I think that's what Neil might have been referring to.

And to further muddle things up for you, I've got what should be glaciata seedlings in a second generation from KUPARI (a glaciata white Iris pallida) crossed with Iris suaveolens. I say "should be" because suaveolens has contributed some pale anthocyanin pigmentation that is showing up only in the falls. When I had first discussed this with Neil, years ago, when we were only seeing the first generation, we talked of it as a "dominant amoena" gene - like I(s), but now that I've been working with it for a little longer. I'm starting to think of it differently. I'll see if I can find a picture and repost it to Iris-Photos. So you can see what I mean.

I hope I've helped clear the fog more than I've made it foggier <grin>
Take care, Tom