Re: CD-ROM

Ian Efford writes

:A couple of the recent communications have been about the development of
:CD-ROMs for the summary of geneological registries.  This approach seems
:very retrograde at this time.  CD-ROMs are very expensive to produce and
:studies have shown that very few cover costs.  They are also static and
:become dated very quickly.  I would suspect that the CD-ROM is dated and
:will disappear over the next ten years.
:
:The alternative is to archive the information on a computer and make it
:available through the Internet. The information can be in the form of a data
:base or list and pictures. This information can be made available to
:everyone, up dated at any moment in time and, when required, downloading
:access can be sold for a nominal fee to cover costs.

I agree with this assessment of the available technologies for electronic
publishing. The biggest hurdle, I think, will be in taking the checklist
texts and intelligently translating them into a database; once that is
done, we can choose the best electronic publishing channel available at
the time.