Historic Rebloomers

Mary Forte wrote:

:  I'm just curious if there are other historics that bloom like that.

Yes.  And I'm sure that some of our HIPS folk and reblooming experts can tell
you more.  My own experience with reblooming iris dates back to the sixties.
JOSPEPH'S MANTLE seemed to send up stalks throughout the growing season.   JULY
BEAUTY, AUGUST WA VES, and OCTOBER SHADOWS were also quite reliable in Oklahoma
and, in spite of their names, all had prolonged rebloom seasons.

Lloyd Austin (Rainbow Gardens) divided his reblooming iris into "twice-bloomers"
and "everbloomers".   The twice-bloomers had a seasonal trigger, so that they
tended to re-bloom at a predictable time.  The everbloomers would bloom whenever
a rhizome was mature enough and in California that means essentially year-round

Is this distinction still important today?  Or has it disappeared with advanced
generations of rebloomers?

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)
Relishing one of those rare days at the desk.