At 11:39 AM 7/31/96 -0600, Ian E. Efford wrote:
>A couple of the recent communications have been about the development of
>CD-ROMs for the summary of geneological registries.
< edit >
>The alternative is to archive the information on a computer and make it
>available through the Internet. The information can be in the form of a data
>base or list and pictures.
< edit >
>At the moment, there are organizations that are willing to maintain archival
>data, charge for access, and even pay some of the fees to the person who
>originated or maintains the data base.

I used to run a small data processing company specializing in mailing lists,
so I can tell you that this is a very reasonable suggestion.  What I do
now is network database management.  One of the companies I used to sub
contract to would do data entry at a cost of about 2 cents for a 3 line
mailing address, so I suspect that even the process of entering all the
required information could be done at not too great a cost.  It may or may
not be reasonable to get it done on a volunteer basis.

My ISP charges 1 cent per meg of data per day for on line storage.  That
would be about $30 for 100 meg. per month.  I'm sure a scheme could be
worked out to minimize the size, if the data base is properly designed.  It
may require considerably less than this.

I'd love to discuss this with anyone interested in pursuing it.  Its' way
too technical for general interest.

Incidently, I tried twice to send a bio (now outdated) to the list and it
just disappeared.  So please forgive me if it seems like I'm just popping
up out of nowhere.  I'll get around to re-writing it sometime.  What a great
bunch of people you all are!

Dennis Mathiasen
Zone 4b Central NY - Siberians, JI's & a few TB's