Re: Nut Sedge

Sharon McAllister wrote:

> Could someone please explain to this desert rat what "nut sedge" is?
>
> Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)
> Where weeds have thorns and iris must contend with tumbleweeds, goatheads, and
> desert primrose.

Sharon, Nut Sage or Nutgrass is a medium leaf grass with long white
roots that have small "nuts" on the ends of the roots.  These "nuts" are
the source of the new grass, and the energy for the present grass to
grow.  If you attempt to pull the grass, you will almost always leave
some roots and the "nuts" in the ground to grow again. It spreads like
wildfire, and you must get control quickly or hang it up.  If you have
it in your lawn, you can use ORTHO CRABGRASS KILLER II, or anything else
that mentions this grass by name.  In the garden, it is a different
story. A couple of Pre-emergent (sp) herbicides will work if you put it
down before it starts to grow in the spring.  VANTAGE is one that has
been mentioned.  Mike Lowe has tried PENNANT with some success. (Mike
jump in here.)  There is also a herbicide called POAST and POAST PLUS,
by BASF Corp, which you can spray directly on the weeds and plants
without damage.  IMPORTANT - with these, it is very important to read
the directions because it not only list what it can kill (weeds) but
also what plants you can successfully use it on.
I use TREFLAN in the spring and fall to control most "seed" weeds.  Some
use SURFLAN and SNAPSHOT 80.

There is a lot of good stuff on the market.  Some expensive, but it
saves your joints and leaves more time to look in catalogs.

Dennis, building character typing on this keyboard...