Re: Computers and Gardens

Carolyn Schaefer wrote,

>I use a Mac, also.  I'd like to use ClarisWorks or a simple data system
>that can be easily adjusted..
>Do you have ClarisWorks on your Mac??  Do you suppose that drawing section
>would allow enough flexibility to make a garden map??
>Which Mac do you have??

The database part of ClarisWorks is what I use for my garden log. Before we
bought the new Performa (with ClarisWorks and a MODEM!!!) I used Excel. The
big advantages of the database are that I can make a much nicer layout and
it supports much fancier searches than Excel. From what I have seen of
Axcess (I have not had the honor of actually using it yet), it's not much
better than the old Mac version of Excel we had.

I don't really like the draw part of ClarisWorks. I haven't really used it
enough to say why. Several years ago my husband bought me a stupid little
program called Expert Landscape Design that I've gotten used to and use as
my drawing program. It is heavily based on MacDraw but a little easier to
use. I don't know why you couldn't use most anything. Just don't get too
fancy. All you really need are shapes and colors.

Kay Cangemi
New York, USDA zone 5