Kathy and all:

<< I need someone to pay me for not typing (like they'll pay farmers to not
grow soybeans) so that I can get some REAL work done! >>

I know the comment above was made in jest and no ill was meant, but in
support of those who provide the Nations food, I feel compelled to rise to
the occasion.

Typing is not a food staple crop such as soybeans, corn, wheat, and rice;
therefore, no need to sign up for "set aside typing."  The four staple crops
make up the bulk of American diet either directly or indirectly, primary or
secondary, depending on how your eat your nutrition -- grits or porkchop,
bread or hamburger, etc.

A remaining 1% of Americans choose to produce our domestic food supply
costing us only 12 cents out of every dollar we earn. This  allows us to
pursue other activities like music, art, travel, horticulture, and choose
other occupations with more monetary value and live in fine urban homes near
our other occupations.  We could go back to the 1930's when 35% of the
population toiled in the field or take up citizenship in another country,
like Mexico or central American or Africa or the former Soviet states, etc.

The American farmer is the most efficient producer of food crops in the world
under the watchful eye of federal, state and local regulations.  Out of every
loaf of bread he still gets the same 5 cents he got in the 1930's while his
cost of production contiues to rise.

While welfare payments continues to rise for doing nothing, support and
protection of the nations food supply (other than its regulation) is treated
like a step child as our nations farmers continue to fade away.

We are a nation blessed, but we take our history likely.  We once were an
agriculture society with most everyone living on the land.  Even during the
great depression people who lived on farms never went hungry or lack
clothing; only those who lived and worked in cities were in the soup lines.
 We are no longer a nation of agriculture people but a nation of city and
urban dwellers whose livelihood is derived there.

Let our nation's staple food grain supply be tampered with or taken away
because of foolish policy or no one to produce it.  Modern Americans are a
nation not accustom to famine or production of food stuffs.  What do you
think would happen if the above was a reality?

I'll end with two quotes in one:  " 'When tillage begins, other arts follow.
 The farmers therefore are the founders of human civilization.'  Daniel
Webster.  'This thought is obviouly lost on many people today.  They take
agriculture for granted or --even worst--know nothing about it.' " Frank
Garner, Editor, Florida Grower & Rancher.

Robert Turley
LaBelle, FL