The Bulletin

I have been reading the various comments on the bulletin and how it might be
upgraded to be more acceptable to a wider audience.  I said earlier that I
felt it was boring and this comment has forced me to tried to define what I
really meant.  I believe that it lacks variety and does not expand my
horizons when I read it.  The British Iris Soc one is far broader in
content, I really look forward to it arriving.  In fact, when it did not
arrive soon enough I telephoned the UK to find out why. (I am still waiting
for the last AIS bulletin).

What can be done to broaden the content and add variety - to excite readers
about new things.  Three suggestions:--

1.      Have an in-depth review article on one wild N.Am. iris each year or
twice a year.  My feeling is that many of us do not know what is in the
woods around us and our minds would be expanded by new information.  Tony
Huber has very interesting information on the relationships between
virginica and versicolor.  What about an explanation of why setosa is now
two species rather than one in N.Am.

2.      Have one article in each issue which is a reprint of the best one in
iris publications from around the world.  We do not all receive these other
publications but some people do and they could identify excellent articles
for the editor.  What are the French, British, Australians, N Zealanders,
etc doing these days? The editor could then select and obtain permission to
reprint.

3.      Why not do the same thing for N.Am. using the sub-society
publications such as SIGNA, or the Canadian Iris Soc bulletin?

These are just three ideas, I am sure the list members will have others.

Ian E. Efford
Ottawa
avocet@woldlink.ca