Re: Earliest/Latest TBs

In a message dated 96-07-30 15:54:48 EDT, Dennis writes:

>Dorothy - just curious - how does KAREN, PRICELESS PEARL, and ORANGE
>SLICES do for you?  How 'bout oranges in general?  Do they preform OK?

Let's see--have had KAREN for 3 years.  Grows well, has bloomed all 3 years.
 Does get quite a bit of leaf spot later in season, foliage looked a bit
virusy earlier this year.  Flower is very nice; makes show stalks, but too
late for our show!  Decent rate of increase.

Have only had  ORANGE SLICES for 2 yrs.  Was outstanding in my Mom's garden,
so I begged a piece.  It seems to increase quite well, but also shows a fair
amount of leaf spot at this time.  Nice branching and stalks.

PRICELESS PEARL has the cleanest foliage of the 3, and super strong stalks.
 I've grown it since 1982 (goodness!), and I must admit the flower form is
starting to look a bit old--the falls seem to get a bit longer every season.
 It likes to take a vacation from blooming about every 4th year.  Increases
well, have never had rot in it.

Other oranges.  I must say I don't like orange, so haven't grown many.  One
that has done well for me, and was our Queen of Show 2 years ago is Aitken's
BB, MAID OF ORANGE.  I grew SON OF STAR for 4-5 years, and was intrigued by
the shocking orange color, but finally pitched it because I could not look at
the awful foliage any longer--virus, pineappling, leaf spot....  I should add
a note here that leaf spot is a given in this climate; it's only the REALLY
bad cases that bother me.  I had SPANISH GIFT many moons ago, pitched it
because it spent most of the bloom season lying on the ground.

GOOD SHOW is a newer orange that is performing well in my Mom's garden, altho
the stalks went down this year.  It's rate of increase is phenomenal.
 Probably my favorite orange, sort of, it's kind of a pink-orange-melon-rose
color; is TROPICAL FRUIT.  Beautifully branched stalks and lots of buds.

In general, I think pinks and oranges are less vigorous and more prone to
leaf spot and rot here than say, blues, which are probably the most reliable
performers.  But we all know how risky generalizing can be!

Dorothy Fingerhood
DFingerhoo@aol.com
Newfield, NY