unanswered questions - seed pods

> and a bag of seed pods.  My
>question is, what do I do with them?  They are still pretty green.  I seem
>to recall Linda Mann saying something about sugar water and
>toothpicks...????  I would appreciate any information.
(hidden under the subject 'back from Alaska')

I was hoping someone who knows what they are doing would answer this, and
then forgot to share what I was told - I think Dave Silverberg? suggested
putting stalks with seed pods in sugar water to let them finish ripening.
 {check the list archives}.  One of mine rotted off right at the base of the
pod so I had to prop it over the water on toothpicks.  When the pod finally
started to rot, the seeds were no longer attached to the inside of the pod,
but were white, not brown.  So I don't know if it worked or not.

You're supposed to wait until the pod turns brown and splits open, then
harvest the seeds.  All of my podded stalks except the two bee pods on CHERRY
SMOKE rotted or broke before they were brown.

Cooley's catalog has directions for planting seeds - right away if they won't
die over the winter, or late in the fall for spring germination.  I have no
idea what is important in storage before planting - it is so soupy humid here
now, they may germinate in the paper envelopes I have them stored in!

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east Tn USA