roots, Maryotts and Moonshine Gardens

        Warning this is a grab bag post:

        My own feeling on roots is that if they are white, leave em alone, and
if they are brown (last years) then they can go (but these are usually on a
mother rhizome anyhow). The level of root developement depends on the time of
division, the cultivar and the climate. For me new roots are coming all summer
as I water regularly and the plants keep growing.

        Thanx for the responce Marilyn of Maryott's, we visit every year and
really appreciate your open garden format (the garden is open to the public
every day during bloom time). I did notice that your iris had longer roots on my
last order, andd all did well for me. I have a rebloomer in my front yard (lost
the ID in a move 2 years ago), also under a streetlight which bloomed this
December as well as continuosly from late April - early June. John's remarks
about January flowers are not unusual when we have an extremly mild winter as we

        Someone mentioned Moonshine Gardens was "sort of" in business, I was
formerly a customer but stopped receiving catalogs the second year after Monty's
passing. Did someone take over the "inventory" so to speak. I have found several
Byer's iris at Nicholl's Gardens, few at other's.

        Chad Schroter in Los Gatos CA