HMs

Thanks to Mike Lowe for sharing the news, and to John Jones for the kind words.
Learning that BLACKBEARD'S GHOST, ENGRAVED INVITATION, and DREAM CATCHER all got
the HM award brought a ray of sunshine to an otherwise wet & dismal week.

It also prompts me to share a lesson-learned with up-and-coming hybridizers on
the list --

When AIS judges are in your garden, resist the tempation to give them the grand
tour.  Let them browse.  Be available to answer questions, of course, but most
of all:  watch and listen.  It was the judges' reaction, as a whole, that led to
the introduction of DREAM CATCHER.  This seedling was a pattern breakthrough
that combined a very nice flower and a strong plant -- but it wasn't what I'd
had in mind and I'd decided to hold out for something "better".   I changed my
mind after seeing the judges response.  Fortunately.  Sometimes it's nice to be
proven wrong!

BTW, I did finally get what I had in mind, and introduced it this year as WORLD
WIDE WEB.

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)