Re: Season Bloom Summary

John, you said
Maybe my expectations were too high.

According to the Judges' Handbook, which is unclear as to the percentage of
blooms, and generally says the number of stalks should be sufficient, whateve
that means, for one classification, MTB's says:

Floriferousness (10 points)
Number of blooms and duration of blooming are the factors to be considered
here.  Some varieties produce a huge mass of flowers lasting only a few
days;others string a few flowers over several weeks, never producing much
of a show.  Both should be faulted.  Multiple blooms may result from several
stalks per rhizome as with I.pumula, extra buds in a socket as with many
of the hybrid miniature dwarfs, or a later bloom branch as with MDB irises
derived from at least a quarter tall bearded and/or I.aphylla.  Any of these maybe effective inproducing more and longer bloom.  Whatever its source, the goal
is a variety that produces many flowers, preferably for two or more weeks.

I MUST EMPHASIZE that this is for only one classification, and the TB and
other classes differ, but only slightly!!  Looking at iris in the garden
(garden judging can be done by everyone whether or not an'accredited judge')
is generally looking at the pleasing effect of the entire clump, and a lot
of criteria -- in addition to number of stalks per clump - are considered!!

Your percentage sounds good to me!! How about the height of the stalk, above
the foliage? vigorousness (increases)??

And proportion -- size of bloom in relation to the height of the foliage, leaf
width to petal width, and the size of the rhizome???

Lots of things to consider --

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY some more, still...