Re: ... & bulletin

>It is apparent that not everyone will be happy, whether the minutes are
>printed in the Bulletin, or available separately. This seems like a
>reasonable compromise.

Scott, I think Mike Lowe's point about the Bulletin also being the annals of
AIS is important, so I definitely think the minutes should be in the
Bulletin, not a "throw away."

Perhaps I am a man with strange tastes, but I have always enjoyed the
Bulletin from the days when I first joined until now.  As long as the
articles were about irises, iris people, iris gardens or some aspect of
AIS....I enjoyed them.  I did not enjoy the long articles about iris stamps
that took up most of the Bulletin several times.  But I have always enjoyed
reading the Board minutes to learn "what is going on."

We should all keep in mind that the AIS Bulletin is just one of the
publications published by AIS entities.  There are the wonderful section
publications, e.g. ROOTS, Society for Japanese Irises's The Review, The
Siberian Iris, etc.  There are regional publications, some of which are
outstanding, e.g. Region 4's NEWSCAST.  There is The Iris Fan published for
youth.  There are local society newsletters.  These publications are often
very interesting also. Often these other publications contain articles that
merit putting in the AIS BULLETIN.

I concur that the Bulletin should contain articles of interest to beginners
as well as articles for the more advanced.  But I much prefer variety in the
Bulletin rather than the "theme" type Bulletins focusing on just one type of
iris.  Of course I belong to all the Sections, and get my "theme" type info
from their publications.  Hope I have not bored too many people by rambling
on in such fashion.  Love them irises (and iris people, who are the
greatest!)  Clarence Mahan in VA