Re: Season Bloom Summary

LMann76543@aol.com wrote:

> >only had a 66% bloom rate.
>
> That is amazing - here I thought it was only us rednecks (sorry, just got a
> stack of Foxworthy email)  in Tennessee who had that kind of bloom success
> rate.  And I thought California was iris heaven.  Of course, this year, a lot
> of us had much lower bloom success than that because the weather patterns for
> the last year were worse than usual, but 50-70% seems pretty typical.

Linda,

It probably does seem like I am whinning. I have watched (read??) with amazement
all the problems that you and others in other parts of the country have to put up
with. (No I don't wish I could have them and suffer along with everyone else...) My
only experience prior to last year was cutting the blooms to bring them in the
house for Gail and I to enjoy or to take to the office. Now that I do it all, I am
paying attention to lots more things. My experience was that each year we had got
more and more blooms, so I was expecting more than I should have been. Here I was
expecting 200+ blooms and wondering if I was going to get very many with multiple
bloom stalks - silly me!!

Marilyn at Maryiott's thinks that we didn't have a cold enough winter here last
year. What makes it worse is that I covered the beds to keep the frost off the
foliage and early bloom stalks in Jan and Feb. Maybe I did myself in...

Anyone have thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback.

PS. Linda, What's Foxworthy mail?
--

Fax:                     |  (510) 795-9723
John Jones, 35572 Linda Dr., Fremont CA, 94536
jijones@ix.netcom.com, USDA zone 8 (coastal, bay)