RE: Seedling Numbering Systems/Chromosome Counts

These are some interesting posts on various numbering systems.  Right now
I'm selectively increasing my collection with TB rebloomers, bearded irises
recommended by members of this list, and past medal winners, with hopes one
day of making some TB crosses.  Several of you guys seem to have a good
handle on chromosome numbers and what constitutes a viable cross.  For
example, I had no idea that most IB's are sterile.

Is there a good reference which explains the chromosomal relationships
between the various bearded and non-bearded irises?

How do I go about determining the ploidy (is that a word?) and the
chromosome counts of any existing named varieties of bearded or non-bearded
irises that I may wish to grow and someday use in a breeding program?

Also how does one go about tracing the pedigrees for various irises?

-Donald Mosser in South Carolina, where the irises never really stopped
growing this summer

Donald Mosser
dmosser@southconn.com
North Augusta, SC