Re: Re[2]:

  • To: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]:
  • From: "Reesa" <reesa@jersey.net>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 09:11:43 +0000
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is <reesa@mail.jersey.net>

Hi Suzette,

Have you asked any of the officers or other members if they could
have a basic meeting? I think after a while, the more experienced
growers may forget what its' like for a beginner.

Two things I'll suggest in lieu of or in addition to meetings. If you
haven't already, get "The World of Irises" book offered in the
bulletins. Excellent reference that shows you the many different
types and growing tips for each one. Although it touches on
hybridizing, the focus is on history and basic info.

also, if you're mainly into tall bearded, which are the most popular,
get a Schreiner's or Cooley's catalog. Both have a lot of growing
tips,  info and numerous color photos.

> The problem is I'm just starting and hybridizing is not what I'm
> doing.  I'm just trying to learn how to grow irises.  Maybe if I get
> into hybridizing I'll be more interested.
> Personally I've found the hybridizers that have given speeches are
> boring and too technical.  Since I don't know the difference types
> (scientific) irises, I don't understand what they're talking about.

P.S. did you say you're near Lloyd Zurbrigg's garden? Because he has
one tall bearded that I love. It's a rebloomer, and although many
rebloomers do not compare in form and coloring to once-bloomers, one
of his called Jenifer Rebecca is amazing. It's a beautiful sort of
rose color with nicely ruffled large blooms...

Don't give up on your local club. I think if you make your needs
known, you'll get a response.
    ~ ~       Reesa Marchetti, WRITER-MUSICIAN-WEB AUTHOR
  `O O^          reesa@jersey.net   www.jersey.net/~reesa
   < 	               www.netstreet.com/mr_charlie.html
..COol MOther