Re: ... & bulletin (Off topic)

Scott Aitken writes...

>> is leaning very heavily to printing only a summary of the AIS Board
>>Meeting minutes in the Bulletin.  Many people seem to be curious about what
>>goes on in Board meetings, but very few want to read every word of it. And
>>it does take up a lot of room in the Bulletin twice a year. The complete
>>printed text would be available free for the asking to anyone who wanted
>>all of it.

I have had reason to obtain the full version of summarized minutes both
nationally and on the regional level.

The minutes in question nationally were taken by a paid executive
secretary. They were summarized for the Bulletin and a complete copy was
placed in the Secretary's file, the President's file and in the AIS
archives.

The President's copy was destroyed in cleaning out for turnover to an
incoming President, the Secretary's copy was destroyed in a basement flood
and the archive copy was destroyed in a flooded garage along with 'many'
Checklists. No record exists, save memory, for a decision that is still
operative in AIS Policy.

The Regional minutes were required for a Bylaws revision. Full minutes were
placed in the RVP files, the Secretary's files and the Parliamentarian's
files. NONE of these copies exist today, all were presumably destroyed as
outdated in one of the many turnovers of office.

My complete record of Naval service was destroyed in a fire in the Navy
Archives in St. Louis. I badly needed to reconstruct my DD-214, record of
service. It is not possible. In my genealogy hobby, I would sell a couple
of kids into involuntary service for a peek at census records destroyed in
a fire at the Archives. The list goes on and on.

The AIS BULLETIN IS our historical record. FULL minutes are NOT frivolous
or a waste of space!

Best regards,

Mike Lowe