Re: minutes & bulletin

Scott,

Count me in favor of trimming the full minutes out of the Bulletin. I
definitely think there should be a summary of *actions* taken by the
board, but there doesn't need to be a detailed, formal report on every
exchange of discussion or every act of parliamentary procedure--especially
if the detailed version is available on request to those who may want it.

The bottom line, as I indicated before, is that a small amount of club
business must be balanced with a *heavy* dose of information about irises.
Long-time members of AIS of course want to know what's happening in the
organization; but new members and (more importantly) potential members
usually don't give a hoot. They want a *magazine about irises*, and if
the AIS doesn't provide it, they see no point in being a member.

[I couldn't help noting that a number of those on this list who expressed
a desire to see the full minutes printed in every Bulletin are officers
of the organization--not really representative of the audience you want
to target in a membership drive!]

There have been times when the Bulletin has been more than 50% club
business, with just a couple articles about irises. That's no good.

Regards, Tom.