Re: ... & bulletin (Off topic)

:Mike Wrote:
:> The AIS BULLETIN IS our historical record. FULL minutes are NOT frivolous
:> or a waste of space!

and Dennis adds:
:3 cheers for Mike!!! :-0   :-0   :-0     As a former member of
:several bylaws committees, I couldn't agree more.  Believe it or not
:folks, members read the minutes of meetings!!!

The American Hosta Society publishes a separate annual publication
with a listing of members, affiliates, and the formalities of club
business, freeing up the pages of the _Hosta Journal_ for articles
about hostas. The "administrivia" publication is less expensively
produced (staple bound, no color, etc.)

The Aril Society International puts its "business stuff" mainly in
the triennial newsletters (again, inexpensively produced), leaving
the Yearbook relatively free for articles about arils and arilbreds.

Maybe AIS could do something similar?

Although there is a need for dedicated, committed members of AIS to
keep informed about club business, such news is simply dead weight
as far as recruiting and retaining new members who are not yet
absorbed in the ins and outs of club business and politics. If the
Bulletin is 80% solid iris information, it can bear some of this
dead weight happily. It's a matter of degree. We should strive to
see our publication as outsiders see it--that's the only way to
keep new people coming in and keep the society vital.  IMHO.