Historic Japanese Iris

I have been involved for a couple of years now with restoring the gardens
at the Vanderbilt Mansion in Hyde Park. We are now trying to replant some
beds next to the reflecting pool. They seem to have been originally planted
with Japanese Iris and Hosta. (The historical record is a little dim.
Mostly we have to go by black and white photographs where everything looks
like white petunias :)) So, the question is, does anybody know of a source
for 1930's era Japanese Iris cultivars? Is HIPS involved with beardless
iris? We may be looking for Siberians also.

Kay Cangemi
New York, USDA zone 5