Marilyn R. Harlow wrote:

> A little known rule passed by the AIS Board some years back states that any
> member whose dues expire June 30th, and who does not pay dues before July 1,
> will not receive the next AIS bulletin (because technically the membership is
> expired).  Same holds true for those memberships expiring on December 31.
> This time around there were 1100 members who DID NOT receive the AIS July
> Bulletin because dues were not renewed!  Color me a despondent membership
> secretary!
> Marilyn
Chris comments:

Perhaps part of the problem here with the high number of non-renewals is
due to the fact that it was recently publicized that the AIS memberships
expiring June 30th this year would be extended to December 31 this year
to bring them in line with the new membership year structure recently
approved by AIS. Thus people expect that their membership will continue
until December this year. It could be that they are waiting until then
to renew.
Example; my own membership expired June 30 96. I have already renewed
for 3 years but the way I understand it I expect my membership to run on
to December 96 and then further the 3 years to expire in December 99.

The other possible source of the non-renewals is that the membership
fees went up quite a bit from the previous fee structure. From $12 to
$18 per year.
Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b
AIS Region 16