Re: more on iris roots...

The article by Bill Griese is 'Return to our roots' in the January 1995 AIS
Bulletin, p 63-64.  He suggests that others repeat his experiment if they
don't believe existing white roots are important.

My conclusion would be that if cutting the roots off works in your garden,
keep on doing it.  If growing conditions are marginal, keep as much root as
you can.

I also ran across an article on root rot in ?some agricultural crop in
relation to cultivation.  They found significant differences in presence and
severity of root rot in cultivated versus uncultivated row crops, with much
more rot in uncultivated rows.  Some evidence to support my observation that
the best way to successfully grow iris in our high rainfall area is to plant
them in rows and keep them cultivated, which is what all our local club
gardeners do.  Not exactly a 'garden' planting....

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN USA

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN USA