Fat West Coast Irises

Dennis Stoneburner wrote:
>With the Schreiner's iris, turn them upside down for a few days
> to let the excess water drip out.

I am having a little trouble understanding this thing about drying out fat
rhizomes. First of all, I haven't had any trouble with "fat west coast
rhizomes" turning suddenly to mush from rot, and I put upwards of 200 of them
in the ground last year. Secondly, even if you do "dry them out" won't they
just reconstitute when you put them back in the ground and water them for the
first few weeks to get the roots started? So what is the difference if they
get watered or rained on. Seems to me it is more a problem of soil conditions
than how "fat" the rhizomes are.

John Jones, 35572 Linda Dr., Fremont CA, 94536
jijones@ix.netcom.com, USDA zone 8 (coastal, bay)