Seedling Numbering Systems Suggestions, Please...

Hello friends!
	My main request is that some of the seasoned hybridizers on the list
share their ideas for proper, useful numbering/naming systems for seedlings.
If your system is, shall we say, "PROPRIETARY", don't divulge all of it; just
give up some ideas on some components of a useful format. Although I have
some ideas, why not ask the pros and avoid the pitfalls? ;-)
	Keep in mind that I am a reasonably clueless wannabe hybridizer with
a few fat seed pods currently baking in the sun (and a couple perched atop
sugar water solution that couldn't go the distance). I forsee the seedling
bed I am currently working on in preparation for my new varieties being a
success; what I can't forsee is what to put on the nametags prior to any
(hopefull) introductions. Why, I have even ordered 1000 nametags from a
horticultural supply house in Texas in preparation for all the newcommers!
	I would assume you could look at a seedling name and determine a lot
from the "CODE", such as the year it was planted. But what else? Also, if the
topic is covered in some reference, you could point me/us in that direction.
	Thank you for the guidance!
Jim Schroetter
Fredericksburg, VA - who helped dig hundreds of rhizomes for our Aug 3rd,
Fredericksburg Area Iris Society sale, (Roxbury Farm and Garden Center, 601
Lafayette Blvd, F'burg, VA, 0800 - all rhizomes sold!) for irisarians who are
vacationing in Alaska. Now that was some "hands-on" training!