Re: more on iris roots...

>two separate phases of root growth: The
>first stage begins with the yellow nubs which grown down into the soil after

>bloom time, The second phase begins in fall with the formation of fine
feeder
>root branch's from the first stage root growth.

So are these new yellow nubs formed on the new offshoot rhizome (the part
that will bloom next year)?  'After bloom time' covers a fairly long time
period in this part of the country.  If these are the roots formed between
bloom time and digging time, then it sounds as though those are at least some
of the roots that are present on the piece of rhizome being planted now, and
that feeder roots would form on those roots. So it would seem to be to the
plant's advantage not to cut them off.

This may be one of those issues like mowing down living foliage - some people
do it all the time with no ill effects.....

I wonder if anyone has looked at root growth pattern in rebloomers in
comparison with 'regular' bearded iris..

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN USA