Re: club activities

>We have had numerous informational meetings with well-known
>hybridizers and few people have showed up for them.

We had two speakers that seemed to draw a big crowd - one was an extension
person who talked about diseases.  She included information about garden pest
management and how diseases are spread and avoided or controlled.  Lots of
yucky pictures.  The other was a native plant nurseryman who talked about
propagation and natives that are especially well suited to gardens - mostly
not about iris.  Our membership is mostly newcomers to iris growing - we are
all obsessed with iris, but also are interested in general gardening.  Other
meetings that draw a big crowd are ones where we swap or auction off iris.

Quite a few people on the list jumped all over me a while back when I said
our group isn't very interested in competitive showing of iris - my
impression is that that is the main focus of AIS (along with top awards for
hybridizers), but it certainly isn't our club's main interest.

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN USA