Re: Fat West Coast Irises

John I Jones wrote:

> Dennis Stoneburner wrote:
> >
> >With the Schreiner's iris, turn them upside down for a few days
> > to let the excess water drip out.
>
> I am having a little trouble understanding this thing about drying out fat
> rhizomes. First of all, I haven't had any trouble with "fat west coast
> rhizomes" turning suddenly to mush from rot, and I put upwards of 200 of them
> in the ground last year. Secondly, even if you do "dry them out" won't they
> just reconstitute when you put them back in the ground and water them for the
> first few weeks to get the roots started? So what is the difference if they
> get watered or rained on. Seems to me it is more a problem of soil conditions
> than how "fat" the rhizomes are.
> --
>                          |  Annotation used by ancient cartographers
>                          |  to indicate the edge of the known world.
>
> John Jones, 35572 Linda Dr., Fremont CA, 94536
> jijones@ix.netcom.com, USDA zone 8 (coastal, bay)

John, I would think you, being on the west coast with different
soil,weather conditions than the East, South, and maybe even the North
that you would not have this problem.  BUT be advised, It is a problem.
 No they will not "Reconstitute" when watered.  If that is the case,
some areas of the USA this year must have baking potatoe sized rhizomes.
"Bigger is not always better!"

Dennis