Re: NEXT DYKES WINNER

Marilyn R. Harlow wrote:
> CONJURATION grows tall and out of proportion here in San Jose, CA while
> SUPREME SULTAN has never had to be staked, has not fallen over, and has
> quite a nice fragrance.  Just goes to show there is something for everyone out
> there in the iris world!

Good point Marilyn. It's interesting that the reverse is true on the
east coast.  SUPREME SULTAN, everywhere I have seen it, is so large it
can not stand up.  As a result of the flower size, the plant itself
suffers and tends not to be as healthy.  As a rule, space-age iris do
very well on the east coast.  (esp. Monty's)  It is therefore VERY
important that Judges visit (totally new concept) gardens several times,
and as many different ones as possible, to properly evaluate the
cultivars under different conditions.

A thought..... "I find it interesting that whatever iris is grown in
large amounts and in many locations at a National Convention comes home
with National awards either that year or the next."  just a thought....

Dennis