>. I'm not sure of what the AIS
>policy is in this area. Logically, I think that the award is for the
>iris as this is the item which has been judged by AIS judges to be
>particularly deserving of this recognition.

As Carolyn S. wrote in recent message, you are right Chris.  It is the iris
that earns the garden award, not the breeder.

The reverse is true in show bench judging...it is the exhibitor that wins the
show award, not the iris. (The exception is the Seedling Division.)  Even
irises with poor garden qualities can have a blue ribbon or a Best Specimen
rosette if they are grown well and properly groomed.  Clarence Mahan in VA