Soap Box

     The Francis Scott Key society had their sale last saturday. While
     there I purchased an iris call BABY BLESSED.  The person who labeled
     it said it was SDB but looking through a catalog it was listed as IB.
     Which one is right?
     Also, Tom was right about the AIS.  As a new member I've found the AIS
     lacking in guidance.  I've been to a couple shows and meetings
     (luncheons).  Every speaker has been a hybridizer.  That's fine if I
     knew what they were talking about.  I couldn't tell you the difference
     between I. virginica and a tet(?).  I almost regret taking a 3 year
     membership.  The lack of meetings is also a problem.  We have four
     luncheons a year which are suppose to pass as meetings.  They tell you
     the normal group business and everyone eats.  I know people are
     lacking in time but I would prefer a meeting at someone's yard to
     discuss irises instead of a hotel. Oh, and I have tried volunteering
     to help at shows and sales but I guess noone needs help.  It's always
     the same people running the show.  If it wasn't for this list I
     wouldn't know what to do.  Thanks to the internet I've been able to
     gleen information from different sources.
     Sorry for the soap box.  I have made these suggestions to other people
     in the society but noone seems to want to bother with it.
     BTW, Ellen, I didn't know that the Wister medal was for only TBs
     either and I'm sure a lot of people on the list are the same way.  Not
     all of us are experienced iris growers.
     Stepping off the podium!
     Suzette Guay
     Baltimore MD