Re: Soap Box

>     Sorry for the soap box.  I have made these suggestions to other people
>     in the society but noone seems to want to bother with it.

You are fortunate to have Clarence Mahan on this list to respond to your
frustration!

  We spend a lot of time on new members in our own club - start each meeting
with "Beginner's Corner" to address another aspect of iris-ing - such as
planting and dividing, reading a catalog, parts of an iris, hybridizing and
planting seed, etc.  We also have a new member orientation meeting with
plenty of door prizes where we 'splain what the club does and what AIS and
the Region do... and we give each new member 3 free irises!

This is all in response to an article published some time ago that was VERY
much like what you said... person said she felt like she was invited to a
party where she didn't know anyone.  We try our best in our club to make
every member welcome  - without pressure.

So, don't blame AIS... but I hope your club is notified and re-examines how
they operate!

Kathy Guest - who got carried away