Re: Iris orders, root pruning et al

Chad wrote:
> ....On another topic I notice that all of the iris shipped these days seem to be
> root pruned to 6" and often much less.

Bearded iris have 2 root cycles.  One now as they increase and get ready
for winter and next years season, and another in the spring as they come
alive and get ready to bloom.  The rhizomes with the dead looking roots
are from this past bloom season.  The new roots are as you describe,
yellow buds, and are going to grow this summer into the fall. It does
not harm them to trim them for shipping as they will sprout new roots
when replanted.  I have even planted iris with no visable roots showing.
 They did fine and bloomed the next year.  Don't worry, yours will do
okay!!  With the Schreiner's iris, turn them upside down for a few days
to let the excess water drip out.