Re: Iris orders, root pruning et al

>Anyone have information or comments on my assumptions about root growth ?
>        Chad Schroter, "rooted in Los Gatos CA"

Chad, the roots that are on a bearded iris when it is dug will not grow
again.  The rhizome puts out new roots.  Thus the fact that roots have been
pruned will not affect the growth or next year bloom of the iris.  The only
use of the old roots would be to anchor the rhizome in the soil...BUT the old
roots rot off, and can be a source of rot getting into the rhizome.  Thus, if
I receive irises that have not had their roots pruned the 1st thing I do is
prune their roots to not more than 2 inches.

Clarence Mahan in VA