more on iris roots...

Thankx to all who answered so quickly, I had always thought that the roots of
summer were replaced each fall, but I became curious after reading a section in
"Irises" by Randolf where he describes two separate phases of root growth: The
first stage begins with the yellow nubs which grown down into the soil after
bloom time, The second phase begins in fall with the formation of fine feeder
root branch's from the first stage root growth. I had assumed that the shipped
Iris had first stage roots already, but apparently these are old roots and the
first stage roots form after planting.

        I second Clarence's remark about the space age Iris winning the Wister,
Totally unthinkable to me as I first became interested in Iris in the early 70's
when Space Age'ers were being promoted as the next big thing, (neither my mom
nor I liked them much, particularly the spoons) Since getting back into iris
over the last few years it was amazing to see the changes over a 20 year period,
but also just as amazing what has not changed ie. spoons and horns are still
novelty items. In conclusion I would like to say I still don't care much for
spoons but have acquired a taste for horns. Thornbird is a remarkable iris in
our area, it always commands notice in any garden and outgrows most iris under a
wide range of conditions. If a horned iris wins the Dykes (seems that a
Wister/Dykes succession is inevitable) that would be almost shocking. I am sure
the English would be disgusted - oh well

                        Chad Schroter, Los Gatos CA