Re: Divide those siberians

> On Sat, 20 Jul 1996 ldridlon@waveinter.com wrote:
> > I was disheartened to learn through this list that Japanese iris
> > should not be replanted in the same spot after dividing.

>          How do you rotate when most other plants require a
> > higher pH?  For instance, I don't think I can put them where the
> > daylilies are.  I've added lime to the soil there.
>
>         NOT lime for sure! I was warned by Jody and the book on Japanese
> Iris AND Clarence for good measure, I guess :-)

   When I got my 1st 1/2 doz. JI's I did not know any better and just planted them
anywhere. Most up an died, but one called SEA TITAN did well and has been blooming
well for me in a damp rock garden out frount near the street. Here in Kansas City
the only kind of rock I could get for free is lime stone, this thing is in a small
pocked between 4 large lime stones. Has growen till it is now touching rock on all 4
sides and will have to be lifted and diveded this year. When I do I will put it some
where more to it's liking, but thought someone might like to know that this JI seems
to do OK in and aroung lime. Might be worth looking into as a breeder for lime
tolerance in the JI's?
                                      Dan Isbell      izzy@sound.net