Iris Dormancy

I recently read in a local Iris club bulletin that if you were going to
dig and separate an iris clump, that you should withhold water for six
weeks to make tham go dormant. It has been my impression that irises
(TB's at any rate) go dormant on their own regardless of watering
pattern. True?

Another question: How deep do iris roots (TB"S) typically go, and is
that the depth at which one should be concerned about the availability
of moisture? I guess that is another way of asking how deep should it be
dry before you water?
Thanks                   | "There be dragons here"
John                     |  Annotation used by ancient cartographers
John Jones, 35572 Linda Dr., Fremont CA, 94536
jijones@ix.netcom.com, USDA zone 8 (coastal, bay)