Re: Irises & Lillies

Kim == In my garden, the iris take such specialized care  -- dry conditions
and prevention of the everpresent borer, that I keep them separate from other things.
 The TB's have a bed of their own and the medians are at the front edge, well
away from daylilies behind.  I spray for borer and need to get all sides of
the foliage -- easier to weed, keep mulch off etc.  I don't know what visitors
think, but I am fond enough of the display in the spring that I can overlook
the foliage.  Siberians and Japanese have interesting foliage on their own,
and I'm not unable to plant pansy and astilbe among them, mostly to keep
them apart, but to have some low-growing thing with lovely flowers that take the
same water and soil

 All that means for you is that I suggest that whatever you choose, be sure to consider the
needs of your most prized plants, first.  If you don't care if the iris
survive, anything will do. (my favorite technique for disposal is to stick it off somewhere and leave it alone)

IUve heard of folks using "love in a mist" and "moonbeam" coreopsis because they
have such airy foliage and can thrive in dry conditions.

And there are gardeners who can make a go of bearded in and among
all sorts of plants, who will, I hope add to this discussion.

Carolyn Schaffner who has found that itUs still dark at 5:30 AM and
combined with cold nights senses the oncoming of you-know-what
in Buffalo, NY  USA

Are you back on the List, Chris Hollinshead in Mississauga, Ontario, Ca
?????  Getting knocked off TWICE is *not nice* or characteristic of
iris folks !!!