Re: Irises & Lillies

>And there are gardeners who can make a go of bearded in and among
>all sorts of plants, who will, I hope add to this discussion.

I'm guessing Carolyn is referring to Kathyguest.  I am a plant collector more
than anything, so I do not mingle irises with other plants for any other
reason except that I see a patch of bare dirt and so plant my newest "can't
live without" plant there.

I find that good companions include:

Daylilies - grown behind bearded
Iceland poppies - which are spare enough that they don't hold water on the
rhizomes, nor shade them

Asiatic lilies, Oriental lilies and Martagon lilies - these don't wander in
MY yard

An effective way to interplant ANYTHING, is to place your garden on different
levels.  I use anything I can find, slats from an old bed, rock, shingles and
siding, plastic pots that I've taken the bottom from and then slit up one
side... any way at all to hold dirt in place so that you can plant other
perennials 'above' irises... I suppose you could do this in an organized
manner so that your garden is stepped.... but I have areas that are higher
than others scattered around and it works just fine!  When the higher plant
is in bloom, it draws attention away from those that are NOT blooming!

Kathy Guest - who pays NO attention to 'companion planting' ... and who finds
her most successful companions to be plantain and purslane