I. unguicularis and Companion Planting

I'm with Kathy wonderful-sense-of-humor Guest on companion planting and hope
that my comment re orchestration did not sound too contrived.  Doing some
things on impulse (unplanned plant parenthood!) is fun and surprises are great.

Speaking of impulse I got I. unguicularis for the winter bloom this way, but
I don't know the best time to divide it.  References conflict here
mentioning both fall and spring division.  I tried to nibble at some of my
larger clumps in early spring, but the divisions did not root.  Because
growers sell these for shipment in the fall, I now wonder if this is the
best time to divide.

I am also wondering how to pollinate these better so that I could share more
seed. Seed set is always so sparse on mine. Maybe I need to get in on one of
those "pollen-dauber seminars"? I keep on asking these questions. They bloom
here in January or February in the pouring rain.  I have put some of my
newer SIGNA I. unguicularis seedlings in a half-barrel (they have DEEP
roots!) on my covered patio -maybe these will produce more seed.  This
species is always in demand on the seed lists, so anyone with seed, please
share your "secrets" and/or donate seed.  Besides the gorgeous Bulletin,
seed lists are another terrific benefit to being a member of AIS and are a
great source for "impulses".

Cheerio, Louise

Louise H. Parsons  <parsont@peak.org>
Corvallis, OR  USA
USDA zone 7 , Emerald NARGS, AIS, SIGNA, SPCNI, transplanted Oregrowian