Terry Aitken & Region 4 Meeting

     The Portsmouth, Chesapeake, & Sufflok Iris Society will be hosting the AIS,
Region 4
Fall Meeting.  It will be held at the Holiday Inn, in Suffolk, VA on 10 & 11
October.  The first
event will be a a program on Awards & Balloting" starting at 3pm.

 We've been busy planning the "Mother of all Meetings" and the weekend is jam
packed for ALL iris enthusiasts and all interested in irises are invited to
attend.  Here's just some of the events we have planned:

     *  Featured speaker will be Terry Aitken - Terry will be giving a two hour
training program
         (Judges Training (JT) credit for AIS personnel) on judging bearded and
beardless                 seedlings.  Slides of any new seedlings will be shown
from the Portland area will
         be shown!.

     *  Other programs (JT) include:
	Judging English Boxes & Collections - Anne Lowe  (1 hour JT)
                   Awards & Ballots- Dr. E Roy Epperson (2hours JT)

     *  There will be a FALL REBLOOMING IRIS SHOW - complete with a design
division!
         Terry Aitken will be one of the judges and we'd like to have two
out-of-region judges.
         What a double opportunity for an AIS judge - to judge with Terry Aitken
at a FALL          reblooming  show!  You can probably count the number of fall
shows held on one          hand.  This is also an opportunity to see reblooming
irises in their full glory!

     *  "CYBER IRIS" will be available on computer for individuals to learn
about getting
         online viewing the various iris web pages, the Iris-L List, and
anything else having
         to do with gardening, irises, and computers.  Hands on experience and
individual
         training will be available on five computers.  We'll even be posting to
Iris-L directly
         from the meeting!  This is mainly for computer and internet newbies!
We'll be actively
         recruiting new "Geeks" and participants on Iris-L.

     *  A GIGANTIC AUCTION will be held both nights in addition to two silent
auctions.  This
        will be THE place to get new introductions, Louisianas, Japanese,
Siberians, Bearded
        Irises and "gotta have" plants because the  auction is NOT just
restricted to irises!
        Clarence is our auctioneer!

     *  Other surprises are still in the planning!

COST:  Convention Registration is $55.00 which includes  dinner both nights and
a breakfast.  buffet.  Hotel rates are $48 + tax.   Suffolk is about 25 miles
from Virginia Beach and the Atlantic Ocean.  We're having the convention there
to take advantage of the rates!  If you're planning to fly in the closest
airport would be Norfolk International (ORF).

     I won't take up any more space, but if you're interested please e-mail me
for registration
forms or further info.

Bill Smoot, Chairman       73210.1725@compuserve.com